NEW DELHI: India’s Covid-19 tally as of Monday stood at 4,25,282 cases, as per Union Health Ministry data at 8 am. The total number of deaths stood at 13,699. The country registered over 10,000 cases for the 11th day in a row. The number of recoveries also continued to surge with 2,37,195 patients cured so far.
Here are the updates —
- Looking at spiralling Covid-19 cases in high rises, the BMC has taken to online conferencing with the office bearers of housing societies, suggesting precautions and preventive measures.
- Maharashtra on Sunday raced past 6,000 Covid-19 deaths, 105 days after its first case was detected. With an addition of 186 deaths, including some added as part of statistical reconciliation, the death toll stood at 6,170.
- Of the total 2,428 Mumbai Police personnel found Covid-19 positive so far, 1,702 have recovered and 688 are still undergoing treatment. Of the 1,702 cops who have recovered, 46 are from JJ Marg police station. Most of them have resumed duty.
- The growth rate of cases shrank below the 2% mark and came to rest at 1.96% in Mumbai.
- Four constables attached to the Thane Central jail have tested Covid-19 positive. Their treatment has started and their close contacts have been quarantined.
- Sir Ganga Ram Hospital has sought more time to convert the five-star Taj Mansingh Hotel into a coronavirus facility in order to increase the number of beds for patients in Delhi amid a spike in infections
- Delhi HC stays probe, other proceedings in connection with FIR against Sir Ganga Ram Hospital for alleged violation of Covid-19 norms.
- The helpline started by AIIMS, National Teleconsultation Centre or CoNTeC, has been receiving 50-60 calls daily from doctors in the capital, mainly pertaining to the sanitisation process after a person is found infected with Covid-19 and the subsequent treatment protocol.
- While diabetes has been marked from the beginning as a comorbidity factor in Covid cases, researchers have now documented that sedentary lifestyle and food habits during the lockdown may have exposed a section of the population to the increased risk of type-2 diabetes.
- Delhi government is going to buy 21,000 oxygen cylinders and 3,000 oxygen concentrators to ramp up infrastructure in its hospitals reeling under the pressure of Covid-19 cases.
- A central government panel set up on the direction of home minister Amit Shah has called for a complete overhaul of the Covid-19 containment strategy in Delhi, recommending a fresh delineation of containment zones in the capital.
- The Karnataka State Covid-19 war room, which has been analysing Covid-related data and monitoring trends, has stated the number of active cases is likely to touch 20,000-25,000 cases in the state by August 15.
- Among the many initiatives of the Karnataka government to tackle the spread of Covid-19 was its request to people in home quarantine to send selfies and report their health status and location. However, people in most districts have remained cold to it, with just about 12% sending selfies, which has left authorities struggling with increased home visits.
- CM BS Yediyurappa calls an emergency meet of concerned officials and depts today, to discuss measures to control rising Covid-19 cases in Bengaluru.
- With a senior police personnel succumbing to Covid-19 and 22 cops testing positive in Bengaluru on Sunday, the city police chief has decided to send all field personnel aged 55 years or more on paid leave and directed officers to liaise with the public in specially erected tents outside the stations.
- Autorickshaw drivers who resumed operations on May 19 after nearly two months of lockdown are a worried lot. Reason: Their earnings remain a fraction of pre-Covid levels.
- Three new containment zones have cropped up in Trichy’s most congested streets including two near Big Bazaar Street. Trichy city now has eight active containment zones, the highest so far.
- Tamil Nadu’s Covid-19 numbers on Sunday were the highest so far for a single day — 53 dead and 2,532 new cases — while the lockdown was complete in Chennai and three adjoining districts. The number of active cases in the state also crossed 25,000 for the first time; the number was around 10,000 on June 1.
- The Tamil Nadu government boasts that it has been testing more samples than any other state. But experts have criticised its strategy of drawing more samples in districts that record low Covid cases.
- On June 19, a special point-to-point train departed from the Chennai Central carrying 1,394 guest workers to Malda Town in West Bengal. It was the 259th train operated from the state that has sent 3.79 lakh guest workers home since the first week of May. Among the southern states, the TN government has sent more number of guest workers since the first shramik special was operated on May 1.
- Two days after the intense lockdown was imposed in Chennai, Thiruvallur, Kancheepuram and Chengalpet districts, industrial units and the IT/ITeS sector are facing trouble in obtaining epasses to carry out permitted operations.
- While the number of containment zones in Chennai city has dropped significantly, containment in Tambaram and nearby southern suburbs has increased. Official data shows that on Sunday, Tambaram had 76 containment zones while all of Chennai city had only 64. It is the polar opposite of the picture from four weeks ago, when Tambaram had 18 containment zones and Chennai city 369.